Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Curried Chicken and Veggies with Citrus Cardamom Rice




Let me start off by saying that I cannot promise that everything I make will live up to the title of this blog, which translates to "Cooking for Lazy People", but I thought that it may be nice to start off that way! This meal, like many I will be making in the future, was from Dorie Greenspan's book, Around my French Table. I have only tried a few recipes from her book and I already LOVE it. For that reason I will not include recipes for all of the dishes I make from this book. Also, if I do include one which you try and like I would hope that you buy the book to try even more!



This is just a quick shot of part of the kitchen in my new apartment (which is a vast improvement over the last). This meal had very few ingredients, all of which were very fresh.

The curried chicken with veggies was perhaps one of the easiest meals I have made in a while. It basically involves mixing chicken, peppers, onions, and in this case peas in a large bowl with a little bit of oil, salt, pepper, and curry powder. Then the mixture is placed in foil which is made into a well sealed tent leaving some empty space for the packet to steam.



The citrus cardamom rice had a lot to live up to considering a fairly small container of ground cardamom was $15 at the Giant Eagle! I couldn't believe it! I have to say though that I am glad I got it because I LOVED this rice. I do not think there really is a substitute that would give you the flavor you get from the cardamom.

Citrus Cardamom Rice
(very closely adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Around my French Table)

Ingredients:

Zest of 1 Lemon and it's Juice
1 tsp Ground Cardamom
1/2 cup of diced red onion
1 cup long grain brown rice (I use a light brown basmati rice)
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once heated add the onions, cardamom, salt and pepper. Cook the onions for a few minutes then add the rice, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toast the rice for a few minutes then add the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, give it one last stir, cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer on low for about 18 minutes. Then ENJOY!





Also, please excuse my sub par photos. I feel quite out of practice, time and light! I will definitely work on that, but even if these pictures do not convince you, try this out! It is really quick, easy, different, and yummm!



No comments:

Post a Comment